Sunday 8 September 2019

writing and blogging: useful thinking time and procrastination

Memory is a slippery creature. It took until Friday to remember that the beginning of September takes some adjusting to, and it’s not always something we manage well. 2019 is no exception, and being away at a conference at the back end of the first week of term has not helped.

Just one week ago I was feel incredibly positive about the EdD in particular, about work and about the balance in my life. In just one short week, that has gone to pot. On the whole work is good. I have a good timetable, a new course to get my teeth into and I attended a conference on Thursday for a project I’m working on which was a great start to the year. Inspired by being in a room of equally enthusiast FE practitioners talking about their ideas for how they can improve practice & creating research projects so results can be evaluated and shared across the sector.

Home life is a little more challenging, with the re-aligning of roles back from school holidays into term time routines. I am feeling the squeeze here, particularly the squeeze to fit in the EdD. The plan to spend some time writing this weekend has not materialised, but at least this weekend the procrastination has paid off with a clean house.

So I am sat in a sun filled, sparkling living room with every intention of getting down to some writing. But I went to bed last night feeling some tightness in my chest and have woken this morning to full blown cold. Headache, sore throat, chesty. One more memory rushing back, that of the Back to Work Bug. In an attempt to power on through I got out my work from last week, when I was riding the high of my supervisor meeting and her suggestion I started to draft the literature review for my proposal. But my attempt to sketch out a tiny text on this may as well have been written in Chinese, I just cannot get a grasp of what I am wanting to say, or really focus on how to move forward.

So, in a bid to be mildly productive, I am writing this blog, in a hope to kick start my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment